Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont is lauding an agreement that will keep the Millstone nuclear power plant complex open for the next decade.
The Democratic governor and Lt. Gov. Susan Bysiewicz were invited Monday by Millstone’s owners, Dominion Energy, to tour the Waterford facility and celebrate the deal reached last month between Dominion and the state’s two electric utilities.
Dominion had signaled Millstone could close in 2023 if a long-term power contract wasn't reached.
“The premature loss of Millstone would have been awful for our state and region, spiking energy prices, reversing our progress on cutting carbon emissions, and endangering the reliability of the grid,” Lamont said. “I want to thank the utilities for coming to the table to advance a better deal for Millstone’s power, cutting in half the incremental cost to Connecticut ratepayers of keeping the plant open for the next decade. I want to acknowledge all of the New England governors who have committed to working with us to look at ways we can value these types of facilities in the future. And I especially thank the women and men that make Millstone run safely and efficiently every day.”
Lamont said Millstone’s premature closure would have meant electricity price spikes, rolling blackouts and increased carbon emissions for New England. The facility employs 1,500 people.
The agreement awaits a review by Connecticut’s Public Utilities Regulatory Authority.